Jul 31, 2012

Review: Daughter of Smoke & Bone, by Laini Taylor


Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1)by Amazon | Goodreads | Book DepositoryAround the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. 
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low. 
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. 
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.
When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Source: Amazon Kindle
Rating: didn't like it it was ok liked it (my current rating) really liked it it was amazing  

   

Daughter of Smoke and Bone was a book that started out with a concept I had never come across before, and that I found rather fascinating. Laini Taylor's writing was captivating from the beginning, and that kept me hooked as I kept reading throughout the book. The war happening in the story, along with the great characters made this book very enjoyable for me.

Interesting plot: 1/2
I wish I could give this a 2/2, seriously. But the book was really amazing at the beginning, but halfway through the book, it got a little more intense, and very very detailed. Which is great, because it gives a lot of information on everything the reader does not know, but I think it was a little too much for me. The details made me read the book a lot slower, just so I could perfectly understand all that was happening, so I think it became duller than the first half of the book.

Characters: 1/2
I absolutely adored Karou. She was an amazing character, who was brave, and knew how to express everything she thinks. Her friendship with Zuzana was very real, and for once, I thought it was great to find a fantasy novel where the best friend knows everything, and the main character trusts in her the secrets of her world.
Although I loved both Zuzana, and Karou, I didn't enjoy the character of Akiva. I understood why he did everything he did, but his character seemed weak, compared to Karou, and although he was intense and determined, I didn't enjoy his presence. However, as the novel progressed, so did his strength, so that was great!

Pace: 1/2
I already went over this, and how I thought it became sort of slow at certain points, but the beginning was amazingly paced so I give this one 1 point.

Writing Style 2/2
I loved how Laini Taylor managed to create a really interesting plot that was transmitted beautifully through her writing style. Kept you hooked throughout the novel.

Recommend it?: 2/2

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total site visits