Apr 17, 2012

Tips for new bloggers!

I'm a sort of new blogger myself, but thought this was very interesting and wanted to share with you guys!

FROM ANNAREADS.COM 



It’s Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is:
Top 10 Tips for New Book Bloggers


OK, so you want to start a book blog. First of all, how cool are you? I love it. Do it; it’s amazing.
Now, where to start? My tips for new book bloggers:

1. DO RESEARCH ON WHERE TO HOST YOUR BLOG.

As someone who has been on both Blogger and WordPress, I see the pros and cons of both. Ultimately, I think WP was right for me, but it’s not right for everyone. I just wish I would have researched this before I began building my blog on Blogger. I suggest you take the time and make an educated decision.

2. JOIN TWITTER.

Networking is everything! And Twitter is truly the best way to do it. Talk to people. Be fun. Tweet your posts. Make it work.

3. COMMENT ON BLOGS.

Nice, thoughtful ones, perferably. This is same philosophy as with Tip #2. Spread the word about your blog by being active in the community. I found some of my favorite book blogs because the ladies who write them were dedicated commenters.

4. SET UP YOUR FEEDBURNER.

What? What’s Feedburner? I didn’t know for SO LONG. When I found out I sort was like “WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME?” So I’m telling you now. This is a great way to count your subscribers and allow followers to follow your RSS very easily. Look into it!

5. MAKE A FACEBOOK PAGE FOR YOUR BLOG.

Mine’s pretty lame. It’s a straggler. But a few loyal readers prefer to see my posts on there as opposed to a reader, so I’m glad I have it set up.

6. DO A HAPPY DANCE OVER YOUR FIRST ARC, THEN CALM YOURSELF.

Because it’s not about the ARCs. Remember this. Please.

7. BE CHOOSY WITH THE ARCS YOU DO ACCEPT.

It’s so great to read old books too! Love your library! If you accept every review request ever, you’ll be buried in your to-read pile. Pick the ones you REALLY want to read. Your sanity and your blog will be better for it.

8. READABILITY IS KEY TO BLOG DESIGN.

When you design your blog, make it look like “you.” (You don’t know how many friends have commented that my house looks like my old blog design hahaha — it was VERY me.) But not at the expense of readability. Utilize your “white space” (aka don’t cram too much into one space!), think hard before putting white text on a black background, and keep it simple, stupid.

9. WORK HARD.

It doesn’t come easy. You need to put in the time and the planning in order to make your blog a success. Contests and hops are lovely tools, but in the end it’s the content that counts.

10. BE NICE TO PEOPLE.

Always. This is my rule in all things. OH, GRANTED, I HAVE MY MOMENTS. Trust me. But the nicer you are, the farther you get in life, and in blogging.
I by no means want to imply that I’m an expert or that there’s any one right way to do things. I’m still learning, every day. But if I could go back in time and tell Newbie Blogger Anna anything, these are the 10 things I’d want her to know. Also to CHILL THE F*** OUT.
AHAHAHHA.

A FEW ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:

I love these three girls. Read on up!
Smooches, and good luck!
Anna Reads young adult book blog

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total site visits